Just in time for holiday party season, we’re serving up a bunch of recipes that pay homage to our own personal flavor within the Salty Running melting pot. I feel #blessed to have snagged avocado as my namesake as it’s one of my favorite ingredients (and let’s be honest, stand-alone snack).
Avo toast peaked sometime during the last year and is on a downward trend (though you’ll pry it from my cold, dead hands), so here’s something a little different to serve up for a party … or just a Tuesday. And good news, it’s almost as easy as smearing avocado on a piece of toasted bread. Almost.
This recipe is vegetarian but would be equally delicious with some shredded chicken. The quinoa adds some good protein, so if you’re looking for a meatless light meal or app, this play on deviled eggs is a quick and tasty option!
Prep Time: 20 min
Serves: 4 (2 halves per person — multiply as needed)
- 4 avocados
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup black beans
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small pot, prepare 1 cup of cooked quinoa. Let cool slightly
2. Dice peppers and onions and sauté in a small pan. Once the peppers and onions begin to breakdown, add 1 tsp of taco seasoning. Cook until tender and slightly browned.
3. While onions and peppers and quinoa are cooking, cut each avocado in half lengthwise and twist apart. Remove the pit.
4. Gently cut the avocado in a cross hatch pattern, being careful not to cut through to skin.
5. Using a spoon, carefully scoop the sliced avocado out of the skin and into a bowl, breaking apart the small cubes. Set aside the skins.
6. To the bowl with the avocado cubes, add sautéed peppers and onions, black beans (rinsed), cooked quinoa, remaining taco seasoning and 2 squeezes of lime juice.
7. Scoop mixture into avocado skins. Drizzle with hot sauce of choice and enjoy!