Salty’s Training Log – 11.30.14

This week I didn’t even manage half of the miles I ran last week. I knew my miles would be low since I was traveling to NYC with my son, but I was hoping for upper 50’s. The first strike against this plan came when the forecast called for snow on the East Coast on Wednesday. We had a flight scheduled for 11:00 a.m., but I was able to get an earlier flight at no additional cost, so I snagged it. Problem: it took off at 6:06 a.m. There goes that 8 miler I planned for early Wednesday morning. Instead, I woke up at 3:40 a.m. and my son and I pulled out of the driveway at 4:18 a.m. It was nice to be in early. We vegged and napped before hitting the town. We visited Auntie Cinnamon at work and then had dinner with one of my best friends in Chelsea.

Us bumpkins having fun on the set!
Us bumpkins having fun on the set!

But by the evening, strike two. I woke up around midnight with a nasty sore throat. With a little ibuprofen and my sister’s help, I made it out for 8 miles along the west side highway, across the upper west side and to my beloved Central Park bridle path around the Reservoir. I felt cruddy, but the run was good! And then I ventured down Columbus Ave to 67th and met Cinnamon and my son at the Parade! It was awesome! And I felt good except for the sore throat, until early afternoon when I kind of crashed. By Thanksgiving dinner time we were in Brooklyn at my Aunt’s house and I was so sick. I had a fever and hardly ate anything. I was up all night because of the throat pain even with ibuprofen. By morning, I felt light headed and nauseous and decided I needed to go to the urgent care across the street from our apartment. There went my time to run on Friday, not that I was even capable at that point!

In the crowd of the parade after my glorious NYC run!
In the crowd of the parade after my glorious NYC run!

I went to the urgent care and was told it would at least $400. I passed, but did talk to a nurse who assured me that even if I had strep throat, I had at least a week before I’d suffer any complications. So, I powered through the trip. We walked to Time Square and road the ferris wheel in Toys R Us and bought souvenirs for the sisters. We went to Soho and visited the Evolution store and Auntie splurged on custom Chucks at the Converse store for my son. We had lunch at the place my husband and I used to visit when I was a student at NYU Law. We made it back uptown to FAO Schwartz (of course!) and walked over to Rockefeller Center. And then I crashed again. We went back to the apartment and I rested for an hour before heading back to Union Square for dinner. It was a great trip!

Seeing this little guy exploring the big city was worth pushing through when all I wanted to do was snuggle in bed!
Seeing this little guy exploring the big city was worth pushing through when all I wanted to do was snuggle in bed!

But we left really early on Saturday and were busy when we got home with a big extended family party that night. I was so pooped and not feeling better on Sunday. I finally made it out for a run, but it was not even half of the long run I had hoped for.ย And the worst part was that I was no longer feverish, but my throat hurt more and more each day and I was exhausted! Between the trip, holiday and the weekend I had no chance to get to a doctor and so, I had to go with the flow. It’s just one week. Right?

Mon: 6.25 early and easy (I was tempted to load up miles early in the week, but I resisted the temptation knowing that this kind of thing has hurt me in the past).

Tue: 3.5 easy in the a.m. on the treadmill and 10 in the p.m. with a fartlek: 8 x 3:00 on/1:30 off.

Wed: off – traveling.

Thu: 8 in NYC averaging 7:44.

Fri: off – sick.

Sat: off – sick and traveling.

Sun: 7 easy with no watch.

Total: 34.75

Salty Running boss and mother of 3 little ones with PRs of 3:10:15 (26.2), 1:25:59 (13.1) and 18:15 (5k). I love to write about running culture, mental training, and fitting in a serious running habit with the rest of a busy life.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


  1. oh NO! the dreaded appearance of the sore strep throat. Awful. I really hope that you manage to get better quickly. I chuckled when I saw your comment about trying to load the miles early in the week… I am definitely guilty of that strategy… almost always an epic failure for me! I am glad that I am not the only one who thinks like that!

    1. Thanks! Lol! It’s so hard to resist the temptation to do that, but remembering how it felt to not run for 2 months with an injury helps!