Mint’s Training Log – 11.18.12

Medicine (Photo credit: DonnaGrayson)

Another big down week for me.  My coach had me scheduled for a little over 5 hours (35-ish miles), but I couldn’t come close to that.  The head/chest cold that started last week evolved into a real monster this week.  This girl was not only feeling miserable, but I was also getting very little sleep.  That meant I was not getting up in the early mornings to run.  Instead, I was trying to get as much rest as possible.  By mid-week, I was miserable and felt completely over medicated though.  Yuck.

Fortunately, by the weekend I was on the upswing and no longer taking over-the-counter meds of any kind.  I was able to sleep in both Saturday and Sunday and log nice runs in perfect weather.

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were rest days.

Tuesday night I ran with my son after work.  We ran 3 miles at an 8:55 pace.  He is very good at progressively picking up the pace.  Our mile splits were: 9:11, 8:53, 8:40.  Nice.

#$%^&* Garmin

Saturday my son and I hit the road for his last longish run before the Berbee Derby 10k, which we will run on Thanksgiving.  This run started out a little rocky.  For some reason, he was super negative the first mile and a half.  I finally stopped and said I would not run with him if he couldn’t turn it around.  Running is something I love and I am not going to listen to complaining the whole time.  If he doesn’t want to do it – don’t.  But don’t complain.  That may seem a bit harsh – but I think it is important.  Fortunately it worked too and the rest of our run was great!

My stupid Garmin did not work at all though.  Apparently when they refurbished the unit, Garmin failed to install the GPS software.  I *thought* the unit updated when I tried to update the software, but it was clearly a fail.  By the end of our run it said we logged 1.03 miles in just over an hour.  Fortunately I know the mile markers and routes around here like the back of my hand.  We ran 7 miles right around an 8:50 pace.  I really wish the Garmin had been working the last couple of miles though because I know we were moving at a great pace.  Oh well.  Thankfully I have my Garmin 110 to use as a backup until this gets resolved.

Sunday I had 90 minutes on tap.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day (55 degrees and sunny).  I logged just over 10 miles at a decent pace (8:53).  This was my first double-digit run since the Chicago Marathon.  It was a lot harder than it should have been and my heart rate was out of control.  Ugh.  I am officially out of shape and starting over.

Total: 20.2 miles (2 hours; 58 minutes)

Enhanced by Zemanta

Mindi is a serial marathoner. She is a private practice attorney, wife and mom of two awesome (and super fast) boys, ages 12 and 14. She coaches Girls on the Run and is a big advocate of youth running.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.