Clove’s Training Log – 6.12.2015

This is about four days worth of fluids, not including lemonade with dinner.  Lifeblood for Badwater training.
This is about four days worth of fluids, not including lemonade with dinner. Lifeblood for Badwater training.

Badwater.  Where even the rest weeks are brutal.

Admittedly, I spent less total time training; at the same time, when you realize you spent three hours training on a single day of a “rest” week, you get a little overwhelmed.  The temperatures finally got into the high 80’s as well, adding a special challenge.  Read on to learn how Clove’s been “resting” lately.

Saturday, June 6:  The North Face Whistler Half Marathon in B.C.  Gorgeous, hilly and hot.  Paced the 2:30 group for Clif Bar, so the pace itself was no concern.  I stopped immediately at 13.1 miles and didn’t run another step.  Then I drank a mimosa.  And ate gelato.  The end.

Sunday, June 7:  Flew home from Whistler, which took the better part of a day.  Unpacked.  Prepared for the work and training weeks.  Complete rest day.

Monday, June 8:  Double heat spin in the capri/spin shorts/long sleeve half-zip/winter jacket get-up.  In other notice, I notice something bizarre.  When I get out of bed in the morning, my legs work properly immediately.  I don’t have to “break them in” or figure out which parts of my legs or feet to “work around” for my first few steps.  Rest!  It works!

Tuesday, June 9:  Back at it.  Eight morning miles with the neighborhood group in long pants and a long-sleeve, immediately followed by a 50-minute sauna sessions.  They are definitely getting easier.  I’m still ridiculously uncomfortable the last 15 – 20 minutes, but I’m completely lucid.  (Definition:  instead of thinking “am I doing okay, am I in any kind of trouble, should I consider getting out of here?” I’m merely thinking “holy cr@p this sucks, man I am so flippin’ hot, please is it time for the ice-water face towel yet?”)  In the afternoon, five miles of hill repeats on the Glenmont hill in long pants and a cotton hooded sweatshirt, followed by 2.5 miles of uphill walking on the treadmill.  Second run was not my best showing; I wasn’t careful enough about re-hydrating after the sauna and was a little under-fueled.

Wednesday, June 10:  The day that Badwater training b*tch-slapped me.  I was due for “only” ten miles of hill repeats, not my normal 13.  I waited to go later in the day because it was going to be 88(!) degrees.  And humid, but nevertheless.  So DB and I did our 50-minute sauna session early in the morning, and then I waited about seven hours to run.  I suited up as usual: tights, a tank, and a long sleeve half-zip over that.  I grabbed my water bottle and I felt fierce.  The first five miles were soooo easy.  Yes, I was hot.  Freaking HOT.  But I felt strong and was actually running too quickly, trying to slow my pace more and more on the uphills.

And then it happened.

BOOM.  My body was done with that.  Most of us know that your body registers a temperature 10 – 15 degrees warmer than the air temperature when you’re running; in addition to that, I was pretty overdressed for the conditions.  Somewhere between miles 5 and 6, I became very aware of the fact that my body was not happy.  My pace remained consistent, but I didn’t have enough to drink and my effort level was steadily increasing.  No mind!  I began guzzling the fluid I had left, realizing that I could refill at the water fountain at the library just a bit after mile 8.

Except that we’re having issues with high nitrate levels in the water here in Columbus … so nope.  No water.

I was in bad shape when I got home.  Light-headed and overheated.  It did not abate quickly; in fact, I actually had to cancel the hour of uphill walking I had planned following the run so I could eat kalamata olives and drink massive amounts of water instead.

Reality check complete.

88 degrees with high humidity?  This is how we run.  (Disclaimer:  that is not a duckface, it's a DETERMINED face).
88 degrees with high humidity? This is how we run. (Disclaimer: that is not a duckface, it’s a DETERMINED face).

Thursday, June 11:  Slept in since I was still drained from my experiment the day before.  8 miles of hills with DB in the early afternoon, followed by a single heat spin and an hour of uphill walking.  It was still in the high 80’s and I was dressed the same, but we kept the pace conservative and carried much more water.  Felt light years better (and considerably relieved) than the previous workout.

Friday, June 12:  Easy five miles in just shorts and a t-shirt as I had a 30-miler on tap for Saturday.  The exciting news was a *breakthrough* sauna session!  My heartrate coming out was the lowest it’s ever been at 90 bpm’s, but even more exciting was the fact that I felt awesome the entire time.  Yes, it was hot, but it felt easy.  Almost too easy.  The time flew by, I never got overwhelmed, I felt perfectly comfortable the entire time.  Honestly, it was awesome.

Ended the day with an outdoor uphill walk to test the pacing on a real road instead of a forced-pace treadmill.   And with that, “rest” week was over!

Weekly totals:  49 miles running, 8 miles uphill walking, three hours of heat spinning, three 50-minute sauna sessions.

Trail and adventure enthusiast. Girl who swears like a sailor but not when she's teaching Sunday School. Survived infertility without a successful pregnancy. Self-employed, primarily working for Clif Bar and Company. Thirteen 100-mile race finishes with seven top 3 placements. An original Saltine.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

1 comment

  1. Dang! It is so so awesome to read all about this training. I don’t plan on doing badwater anytime soon, or anytime, but I have a couple of friends who did it and the heat training is just crazy. I have one friend who did the Brazil 135, and a lot of her training was on the treadmill with heat lamps on her. WHAT!