Every year, as summer approaches I write a list of all the awesome amazing things I hope to accomplish. And every year, near the end of July I start feeling panicky that summer is almost over and I’ve hardly done anything on the list! And here I am at the end of this particular July and as usual I am trying to cram in all sorts of warm weather fun before fall rolls around. Sure I have things like take my son to the zoo and clean and organize this or that on my list, but I also have a complete list of running items I’ve yet to check off my summer bucket list. I best get cracking!
Here are the 5 things that should be on all our running bucket lists this summer.
1. Splash in some puddles. We’ve had lots of wet weather here in Central Ohio and running in warm rain feels so good. So take it one step (ha) farther and run stomp right through those puddles. Feels like childhood!
2. Run shirtless. We’ve talked about this before. Pair with short shorts and enjoy the sun and breeze on bare skin.
3. Indulge in a cold treat. Finish your run at a fast-food restaurant and walk the last couple blocks with a milkshake. Or savor an adult beverage. Mmmm.
4. Run with the kids before they go back to school. Or throw ’em in the stroller and show off your favorite hobby. If you don’t have your own, surely you can borrow a niece, nephew, or your running buddy’s offspring.
5. Embrace the heat. No need to check the weather report to plan your outfit. And summer means less laundry! Heat acclimation will also pay dividends when cool weather and fall goal races roll around.
What are you planning for the remainder of summer?