As you all probably know by now I’m a lawyer and even though I’m not currently practicing as I stay home with the kids, I still need to attend seminars every now and then to earn continuing legal education credits so when I do want to practice again I can. On Wednesday I had a seminar from 8:30 – 9:30 and as any good little runner would do I scheduled a running date while I had a sitter! I met my dear friend Christina downtown at 6:15 and we ran 8 glorious miles downtown and then I hustled back to her gym, showered and got ready for the seminar. I was right on time, grabbed a bagel and some coffee and sat down. I looked around the room and was suddenly hyper aware how painfully obvious it is that I’m a crazy runner lady! Here’s why.
1. I had a gym bag full of sweaty clothes and stinky trainers resting next to my chair rather than a briefcase.
2. I really really need a pedicure, but even if I had one I might still think twice about the sandals next time.
3. I was 5 shades tanner than everyone else in the room and my glaring perma-sports bra tan line was poking out of my dress.
4. I was the only one refueling with the bagel as anyone else eating opted for the danish and I think I irritated all my tablemates by pouring about 6 glasses of water during the hour seminar!
5. When I walked in the door, home from the seminar carrying the seminar material and wearing a dress, sandals, makeup and hair actually done my three year old doesn’t blink and asks, “how was your run, momma?”
Have you ever felt like the only runner in the room?
Salty Running boss and mother of 3 little ones with PRs of 3:10:15 (26.2), 1:25:59 (13.1) and 18:15 (5k). I love to write about running culture, mental training, and fitting in a serious running habit with the rest of a busy life.