Whether intentionally or not, everyone lies to their coach. This is a terrible idea. Why do we do it?
What’s that? You’d never lie to your coach? Are you sure? Because there are a few different ways it can happen. You might not even be aware you’re lying!
There is lying by commission, such as:
- Yes, that pace felt quite easy! When actually you were huffing and puffing.
- My foot is fine. Well, there was that one little twinge, but I won’t count that.
- I ran too far because I got lost. Which you knew would happen, but it was a beautiful day and you just felt like running further.
- Strategically stopping and starting the watch to manipulate how the workout appears.
Then there is lying by omission, which is even easier:
- Failure to mention that recurring hip pain.
- “Forgetting” about a local 5K and racing it anyway.
- Simply running too far (or not far enough) but not saying anything about it.