Sassafras’s Training Log – 2.9.14

This week certainly didn’t go as planned, but I’m okay with that. I have a post-it note on my computer that says “If Plan A doesn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.” This was a Plan C or D kinda week, but I got (most) of my running in. Just 10 weeks to go until the Derby Festival Marathon!

Monday – An unplanned rest day with really no good reason. For the first time in at least five years, my company closed due to a snow day. I kept thinking maybe I would make it to the gym “a little later”, but later kept getting later, and before I knew it, the day had flown by with puppy snuggles, lounging and finishing up a good book. I would come to regret this later in the week as it became harder to fit my mileage in, but sometimes you just need a lazy day.

Tuesday – Oh, Tuesday. Tuesday was such an epic decision-making fail, y’all – so much so that it should probably serve as a lesson to all future runners of the world. Tuesday morning, I got up and got ready for the gym, but it was so icy that I could barely make it out of the driveway. “No problem,” I reasoned. “I’ll just run after work.”

This is where things started to go south.

I had tried a few trips to the gym after work in the prior weeks, but always hit ridiculous traffic. I had previously toyed with the idea of a running commute, as my office is only about 3 miles from home. I decided that today would be the day; I’d miss traffic, get my run in, and save time. Genius! Until it wasn’t. It did warm up during the day just a hair, but as I was leaving work in my tights and with all my stuff on my back, it started to rain. No, scratch that… freezing rain. Which wasn’t so bad until I got to sidewalks that hadn’t been shoveled with rain now freezing on top of the layer of snow. To make a long story shorter, I called my husband and ended up running back to his office (to “get in extra mileage”, because I was still delusional). I started sobbing as soon as I got in the car because I was so soaked and cold and really kinda scared. And that is the story, my friends, of how I ran 1.25 miles in the freezing rain.

Wednesday – 8 miles at 8:52 on the treadmill. I don’t always go to ย the gym in the evening, but when I do, I watch Wife Swap at the mercy of others, apparently. The fact that the TV didn’t have any sound only added to the train wreck factor. I hadn’t hit the ‘mill in the morning due to the aforementioned ice, the fact that I was so strongly convinced that we would have at least a two hour delay at work, and the lack of planning for anything other than a delay or closure. Oh, and I’d had a pretty awful day on Tuesday, if you recall, so I needed the extra sleep.

Thursday – Since I had dinner plans with a girlfriend on Thursday, my only options were a) early morning or b) post-dinner. I went with what was behind door number one and cranked out 8 miles on the ‘mill at 8:47 pace. And promptly sported my compression socks under my boots all day long.

Friday – 8 easy miles on the treadmill before work – 8:50 pace. [Sidenote: If you’re wondering why I have so many 8 mile runs in a row, I tweaked some of my planned runs to add in mileage and get a little closer to what should have been my original weekly total.]

Saturday – My group changed up our usual Saturday location due to worries about the usual winter culprits – snow, ice, driver visibility, etc. So we started a little later, met somewhere else and rolled with it! It was around 18 degrees, but man, was I glad to hit the roads! Only two sections had snow and ice of the entire 17 miles we covered. 17 miles at 9:06 pace… then a group breakfast after featuring blueberry waffles!

Snowy Saturday
(Snowy) country roads, take me home.

Sunday – Rest

Total – 42.25 miles

Southern transplant who loves 90s boy bands, outdoor adventures and college basketball, although not necessarily in that order. Recovering running perfectionist.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.