Sassafras’s Training Log – 2.16.14

This week started out great with two runs that were milestones, each in their own way, but then it, shall we say, took a dive. I’ll let the log do the rest of the talking.

Monday – An easy 9 on the treadmill (8:49 pace). This was my longest pre-work treadmill run so far, which meant an extra-early (i.e. pre-5 a.m.) wake up time.

Tuesday – Six tempo miles on the ‘mill. I managed to hit my goal of 8:07 pace. (Eight miles total.) Not gonna lie… this workout felt pretty baller.

Wednesday – Planned rest day. Then… this happened.

Free fallin'...
This is what a clumsy runner’s foot looks like, kids.

Short version: I was wearing stupid girly shoes, my foot was asleep, and my foot came out from under me when I stood up too quickly. Like something out of the Looney Tunes. When I fell, I landed on the outer edge of my right foot. I nearly blacked out from the pain yet still insisted on going to my planned pedicure date until the very, very last minute, despite the fact that my foot was swollen to the size of a tree trunk.

Thursday – Probably stating the obvious, but unplanned rest day. It still hurt to walk, let alone run, for most of the day. Lots of RICE.

Friday – One lonely treadmill mile, 9:55 pace. I had decided that as long as my foot was supported, it would be okay. The mile I got in was pretty uncomfortable. I wouldn’t say painful, exactly, but I bailed on the workout because I decided that it wasn’t worth trying to be a badass and prove something if I was doing further injury.

Upon my return from the gym, I noticed that the swelling had gone down (yay!), but now almost the entire top of my foot was bruised (not yay). So later that morning, I went over to the sports medicine clinic to get it checked out. (Becoming running buddies with a sports medicine doctor? Pretty genius move on my part.) The good news is I didn’t have any broken bones. When I fell, I sprained a ligament, so I was just instructed to keep up the RICE regimen, take ibuprofen and take it easy. The irritating thing about running that morning had been my shoe hitting the injury, so the docs also suggested changing up how I tie my shoe. The best news was that I should be back up at full mileage within a week. Forget chocolate – this was the best Valentine’s Day present this girl could’ve gotten.

Saturday – Rest. It felt so weird not doing a long run on a Saturday, but I was glad that I could just enjoy the snow from my warm kitchen and not worry about how it was impacting my run plans.

Sunday – The test run – 2 miles – went relatively well. I definitely won’t be a foot model anytime soon, but it’s getting better.

Total – 20 miles

Southern transplant who loves 90s boy bands, outdoor adventures and college basketball, although not necessarily in that order. Recovering running perfectionist.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.