Recently, Salty reader Colleena sent me the following tweet:
Discussing how fit one’s legs should be to not be judged in a tight fitting boy short for a race. @saltyone, thoughts?
@ColleenWithAnA I think if you’re comfortable rockin’ them go for it! We can get away with a little more skin showing for races. Go
After thinking about it for a while I couldn’t help but wonder if I was too hasty in my response and way oversimplifying a complicated subject. While I do believe we should all wear what makes us feel good and not worry about what those cattier among us might think, would Stacy and Clinton leave it at that?
I talked it over with Cinnamon and Ginger and we all agreed that we need some dos and don’ts about running style. Not all running styles flatter everyone’s body equally. For instance, most long-bra tops (shimmels) look like crud on my very muscular body. I prefer the softer look of a singlet.
In our first installment, let’s take on Colleena’s query: how to wear boy shorts flatteringly?
First, what are they? Boy shorts are essentially running tights cropped very short. A 2″ inseam seems to be most common. The shorts will hug your butt and pretty much leave little to the imagination!
If you think you’re ready to rock the boy shorts look, here are the keys to finding a flattering pair:
1. Make sure they fit. Not too loose or too tight. Too loose and they’ll possibly show more than you bargain for as they flop around on your body. Too tight and we’re talking muffin tops and wedgies. Try them on! And find a pair that fits just right.
2. Try to find a pair that doesn’t have a seam right down the middle of the crotch. Those seams like to ride up and cause “camel toe.” We don’t want that!
3. Try on different styles to find the right rise for you. The rise is how high the shorts come up on your waist. Right now while I’m pregnant I’m LOVING my low rise boy shorts! But when I’m not pregnant and sporting a couple of pounds over race weight they are much too low for comfort!
4. Do not wear underwear under them! Boy shorts, bike shorts and tights are all meant to be worn commando.
5. If in doubt, stick with dark colors. It’s just smart.
So if you’re ready to rock the boy shorts (or BUNZ! as we like to call them around here), follow these simple style rules and go for it!
Are you a boy shorts kind of girl? If you’re not sure, take the official Salty Running race shorts quiz.