It’s a new year, Salties! We’re bringing back the Monday roundtable and giving it an update. We’ll be using this Monday morning space to share the awesome stuff happening in the world of running (and beyond) and as a space to discuss all that with you all. And, get excited: #SALTYCHAT IS BACK! Join us on Twitter at 8 p.m. EST tonight to join in the conversation!
Kicking off with some great finds this week:
- Allie Kieffer keeping the positive body image movement going. This post spurred some interesting discussion behind the Salty scenes, and we’re looking forward to bringing that conversation to you soon.
- Camile Herron continues to kick ass on the ultra/trail scene, winning the Bandrra 100k this weekend, which also served as the 100k Trail national championship race. The win punched her ticket back to the Western States Endurance Run.
- Speaking of trail running, the race directors for the Loon Mountain Race announced they want more women to participate in the event. “To send a welcoming and encouraging message to the amazing women out there who might be considering giving a mountain race a try, we are offering a 50% discount to all first time female participants at the Loon Mountain Race. Why 50%? Because we want to see 50% of the field be women.” They’ve partnered with TrailSisters.net to promote this initiative. The Loon Mountain Race is 6.6 miles, 3,200’ of elevation gain, July 8, average grade 14%, in Lincoln, NH. This year’s race will also serve as the selection race for the 2018 USA mountain running team. Yes, it sounds both horrific and oddly tempting. Our own Spearmint placed third there in 2016 and competed on the World Champs team in Bulgaria!
Now, let’s talk about what we’ve all been talking about all week: the damn cold.
Our northern compatriots like Pumpkin, Maple, Angelica and Mango were winter-as-usual — in fact, Pumpkin heckled us incessantly from the -40º temps of Minnesota.
But in the southeast, we recoiled with horror as the windchills dipped into the negatives and even the low country got a pile of snow. So while Maple was out in -20ºF, I assessed my wardrobe and drove my happy ass to the gym.
Some winter-related favorites this week:
- In Arkansas, Tia Stone learned what many of us have also learned the hard way: negative temperatures do not make for positive speed work sessions
- This oldie-but-goodie of two crazy runners in snowy Portland from a couple of years ago
- Our winter skincare tips
Angelica is training for a February marathon, meaning she’s in the thick of training in a snowy, cold Northeast. We want to hear from you: how did you keep up with your training with the weather this week? Do you have a race soon that’s keeping you on track? Tell us in the comments below, and join us for Salty Chat tonight to discuss!