Introducing the Women’s Running Bracket

Who will win the cup?
Who will win the cup?

March not only means crazy swings in the atmospheric pressure (that whole lion and lamb thing), but it’s also one of this Salty Blogger’s favorite times of the year – March Madness, baby! Even if you’re not a huge fan of college basketball, it can be easy to get caught up in the hoopla of the NCAA tournament, where the best teams in the country are pitted against each other and, after many rounds of play, one team emerges as the National Champion.

Of course, nothing says that brackets have to be limited to basketball! Recently the fine folks at Runner’s World published their own bracket for the “Greatest Runner of All Time“. Of their 32 finalists, only six women made the cut… and only one made it past the first round!

Wait, what?

Seriously?

That didn’t sit quite right with us here at Salty Running, especially when you consider that runners were grouped by eras and women weren’t exactly welcomed with open arms in the running community in years gone by. Since countless women are among the greatest in our sport, we decided to make our very own bracket.

The Spice Rack got our heads together and came up with runners and influential women in four categories: Trail/Ultrarunners, Tracksters, Marathoners and Heroes. The Heroes are those who may or may not be super fast, but are super-duper inspiring. Over the next few weeks, we’ll be relying on youย to help us decide on the Greatest Woman Runner of All-Time!

bracket

How it will work: For round one we will publish a separate post for each division and you, the readers will vote on the match-ups. We’ll give you a little background on each entrant, in case you need some help. Keep in mind, “greatest” doesn’t necessarily translate to fastest; we’re looking for the woman who has contributed the most to women’s running. And we can’t wait to find out who that will be!

Voting is now open for Round 1!

Heroes

Marathoners

Trails and Ultrarunners

Tracksters

Southern-transplant lass who loves 90s boy bands, outdoor adventures and college basketball, although not necessarily in that order. After cracking the 4 hour marathon mark, I'm hoping to run a Boston Qualifying time!

Leave a Reply

4 comments

  1. This sounds like so much fun!!!!! I make a bracket for March Madness but lets be honest I guess 90% of the time and the other 10% I base off which mascot would beat the other in a fight. This is going to be so much more fun and I’ll get to learn about all these great women runners!

  2. This is awesome. Thank you for doing this. And I am so glad I have now found this website. You would think with as much time as I spend trolling the internet I would have found it before. Woohoo! New reading material for this running mama.

  3. The Runners World bracket had Scott Jurek beating Paula Radcliffe. WHAT?! That is insane! And it hardly had any women and when it did, it pitted them against each other in round 1, so at most just a couple would advance. RIDICULOUS! I am so glad you took the lead on this and for Coriander giving us the idea. Can’t wait to see who wins! I have my ideas, but I don’t want to sway the votes :)