Inspired by Pimento’s recent series on Run Fast. Eat Slow, I finally cracked open Shalane Flanagan’s cookbook I received for Christmas. Flipping through it, I instantly liked how the book detailed how each recipe fueled Shalane’s running, whether it be a good pre-workout snack or a post-run recovery meal. It made me think of my go-to recipes for fueling my training.
Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, here’s one of my favorite recipes to share: Green Muffins. They can also be called Popeye, Hulk, or John Deere muffins, if that gets your kids to eat them! Mine love them, and the best part? It’s an easy way to get them, and you, to eat more spinach.
While kale currently tops the leafy green popularity chart, let’s not forget about good old spinach, one of the most nutrient-dense foods in existence. One cup contains far more than your daily requirements of vitamin K and vitamin A, almost all the manganese and folate your body needs, and almost 40 percent of your magnesium requirement! It’s low in calories and high in more than 20 nutrients including dietary fiber, calcium and protein.
How ever you work these into your running schedule, be it before or after, you can’t go wrong with these power packed muffins!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 (8 oz) bag fresh spinach
- ½ cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper liners.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl: flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender, place oil, milk, vanilla, banana and spinach. Blend on high for about 30 seconds or until completely puréed.
- Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture and fold together with a rubber spatula until completely combined.
- Fill muffin cups about ⅔ full and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Happy St. Paddy’s Day and enjoy!