Does this ever happen to you? You’re running along, strong, happy, fearless, Then suddenly, a negative thought slips in:
This is getting hard.
You run a few more minutes and then another negative thought creeps in:
I don’t know about this pace.
Before you know it, negative thoughts are taking over!
Why do I do this at all? This is so stupid. I’m just going to stop. Forever.
Ugh! How did I flip from fearless to fed up in a matter of minutes? Does this ever happen to you? What do you do?
Sing a silly, catchy, song! Not your first answer? Well, why not? The rhythm keeps you moving forward and the sheer goofiness leads to relaxation and sometimes even a smile. Particularly, when I find myself singing aloud and other people hear me and give me “crazy-lady” looks. That is definitely worth a smile.
Here are five silly songs to keep in your queue and call up when you are having a rough run.
1. “Soft Kitty” from The Big Bang Theory. I’ve sung this song for miles. Plus is makes me think of kitties and I love kitties.
2. Florence and the Machine “The Dogs Days are Over.” Catchy, silly, and running-related!
Run fast for you mother,
Fast for your father,
Run for your children
For your sisters and brothers
Plus it calls up memories of a friend’s daughter mucking up the lyrics and singing “The dog days are over, the cat days are here.” Refer to #1 for why I find that entertaining.
3. “Mahna Mahna” from The Muppets. Silly noises in a silly song. For when you can’t think straight enough to remember words…
4. “Purple People Eater” by Sheb Wooley. If the Muppets song doesn’t remind you of rocking out to the Oldies as a child, surely this song will! Plus it has a great beat for pepping up your cadence.
5. “Balls in your Mouth” by Jimmy Fallon. This one takes the cake for ridiculousness and always leaves me smiling.
Give these catchy and silly tunes a try and you’ll run away from “I want to stop, NOW!”and towards “Wow, this mile is almost done!”