Cocoa’s C-section recovery log: week 4

This week was crazy. We left on Friday for Oklahoma. My husband has a 6 week training course there, and since I am on maternity leave, we figured I might as well come along.  So he secured us temporary housing, and we loaded the baby, our 2 dogs, and ourselves into the car for a cross-country drive.

The seatbelt across my incision area has been far from comfortable. My entire lower pelvic area still feels bruised, but that is manageable. The real problem is that my skin is still very tender. If anything touches it, the area feels like it is set on fire. The burning calms down eventually if I don’t let anything else touch the area.  Enter seatbelt = not fun.  Mostly I sat for the whole ride with my hands down my pants (holding the seatbelt and my pants away from my skin).  I have also spent most of the trip wondering why I can’t just walk around naked.  My pants hurt because they rub my skin, and my little one is constantly breastfeeding….

Probably better than walking around naked would be to just take some Tylenol. Sometimes I am too stubborn for my own good.

I have continued dabbling with running this week.  I don’t notice the burning in my incision area when I run. Probably because I have the most amazing pair of running shorts. There is no elastic band to rub the area when I run. They are an old pair of Patagonia running shorts. I have looked online for them but can’t find them… maybe they stopped making them? Bummer.

My biggest problem with running has been really sore upper ab muscles. It feels almost like a severe sideache, but the sideache is on both sides of my stomach and up top. In terms of how I have felt on runs, I think I have plateaued over the last 3 days, which is discouraging because before that, every day felt so much better.  But when I compare myself to one week ago, I still see massive improvement.

Enough babbling, Here is my running log for the week.

Training log

Day 1: 20 minutes bike, then ran 2 miles on the treadmill at gym at 11:30 min/mile pace. WOW! So thrilled with the success on the treadmill. Never knew I would be so proud of 11:30 pace!

-Day 2: Walked to dirt track by my house w husband and dogs. Ran 4 laps (1 1/3 miles) at 12 min mile pace.

-Day 3:  Went downtown to lake. Walked one lap for warmup, ran one lap in 16 mins (1 lap = 1.4 miles)

-Day 4:  Walked 4 miles

-Day 5: Last day in Washington before heading to OK. Headed back to lake. Walked one lap warmup, then ran 2 laps at 11 min/mile pace.  My upper abdomen was very sore the whole run—sideache or just very sore muscles? I am not sure. Incision area felt good though.

-Day 6: Hectic day with driving, did not manage to find any time to exercise other than a 0.75 mile walk in the evening with my husband and dogs. Arrived in SLC which is my hometown.

-Day 7: Went for a very fun run with my mom, sister, husband, and all four of our dogs! (My dad was thrilled to have babysitting duty during our run).  We walked 1 mile warm-up, then ran 3 miles at 11-12 minute pace, then walked 1 mile cool-down. Mom and sister are getting ready for sister’s first marathon in a couple weeks!! I felt great on this run, and I did not notice my abdomen hurting until the last ½ mile. I still can’t open my stride at all, so running is more of a shuffle, but I am okay with that for now. Onwards and upwards!

I am a 30-something new mother (pet mother too), marathon and ultramarathon runner, healthcare professional, and outdoor enthusiast. I'm working on completing a marathon in all 50 states. I will be blogging about motherhood, running, and any random running-related rant I might come up with.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.