Is there any runner on Earth who has not found herself, at one point or another, in the middle of a run wishing a bathroom would appear RIGHT NOW! You frantically scan the horizon for port-a-potties or civilization and, at last resort, a secluded spot where passing motorists won’t see your butt. A year ago, Salty wrote a post about the secluded last resort spots. But before using Salty’s tips, try one of these 5 potty spots!
1. College campuses. Your best bet here will be classroom buildings and rec centers and there will be nice signs directing you there. In grad school, I joked that the best part of football season was the port-o-potties that sprung up around campus for the tailgaters.
2. Public libraries. As a bookworm I’m a huge fan of our public library system. I also like their indoor plumbing.
3. Fast food restaurants. Long open hours make fast food restaurants a good bet. Consider coming back for a post-run milkshake to repay your karmic debt.
4. Construction sites. OK, no indoor plumbing here, but port-o-potties are likely. You already know to BYOTP, right (bring your own TP)?
5. The treadmill. GI tract feeling a bit iffy before you even get started? Take to the treadmill for easy bathroom access. If you’re at the gym, you might run the risk of having someone think you are done and take over the treadmill, but seriously — it’s better than pooping your shorts.
What are your favorite mid-run potty spot?