5 #YesAllWomenRunners Tweets

Salty

Salty

Salty has written 327 posts on Salty Running.

Mommy, lawyer, runner, writer. Competitive runner working on coming back after baby #3. Legal career on hiatus while staying home with the kids (ages 5, 4 and 1.5). Salty Running boss.

Friday 5A little less than a week ago, 22 year-old Elliot Rodger, after penning a 100+ page woman-hating manifesto fueled by his inability to get laid, went on a shooting rampage as an apparent attempt to exact revenge on womankind who have rejected him and the men who he felt didn’t deserve the sexual attention Rodger coveted. In reaction to this atrocious event, women on Twitter began penning poignant tweets documenting how misogyny affects their every day lives, tagging their posts #yesallwomen. While some just don’t get it, many men’s eyes have been opened to the effect misogyny has on women’s daily lives.

Of course, we here at Salty Running were moved by this and it got us thinking how misogyny affects our running lives. Together we came up with these 5 #yesallwomenrunners tweets. We’re sure you have more, so leave your ideas in the comments and don’t forget to throw them up on Twitter!

The road ahead

Because for women it’s not always as simple as one foot in front of the other. #yesallwomenrunners (Photo credit: San Diego Shooter)

1. Because when I run early in the morning I look for houses with lights on “just in case.” #yesallwomenrunners

2. Because when I pass a guy in a race who clearly is offended that I’m faster than him, I wonder how else those insecurities manifest themselves. #yesallwomenrunners

3. Because before leaving home to run workouts, I change out of my short-shorts at the last minute, even though I know I’d be more comfortable running hard in them … until the one time I didn’t and got catcalled from a truck while jogging to the track. #yesallwomenrunners

4. Because after a female runner is attacked, society expects me to react by taking self defense classes, sticking to the treadmill where it’s “safe,” wearing my hair in a bun, or even packing heat on my runs. #yesallwomenrunners

5. Because every time I run outside I risk some dude taking my photo, posting it online and a bunch of pervs lusting over it. #yesallwomenrunners

What ways has misogyny impacted your running decisions? Do you change your routine because of it or do you stand firm in your decisions regardless of a few bad apples? We want to hear your stories.

Enhanced by Zemanta

12 Responses to “5 #YesAllWomenRunners Tweets”

1. misszippy1 says:

Love this. And it’s so true. I won’t trail run solo b/c of it, and that makes me mad!

That’s terrible! I do run trails solo, but I always have an exit strategy to the nearest road or populated area and of course never do the same route at the same time of day. It’s so infuriating it’s so difficult to enjoy the trails!

2. Catnip Catnip says:

Here’s my contribution…

My neighbors have all asked “are you sure you should run art [this part/that park/this time/that time/all the parks/all the times]?”

3. Kristen says:

I love this post! Yesterday, my coworker told me she and her husband aren’t using their treadmill anymore and wanted to know if I’d take it off their hands. Free treadmill?! Heck yes! I was so excited until she followed it up with “good, because I worry about you running outside at 5 am. You don’t need to do that.” #1 – please stop trying to instill fear into a healthy hobby that I love. #2 – can I even accept the treadmill anymore, knowing it’s on the pretense that she expects me to replace my early outdoor runs with it? Darn.

4. Kenia says:

Just yesterday, while running with my running crew, my running friend asked me, “are women aware that guys are always checking them out? If you are, did you noticed all those guys checking you out while you were stretching?” … My respond … ” no!! ” I know that I could wear longer shorts but I don’t like them and I want to beat all these guys in my runs! .. Don’t get me wrong when I’m running solo it’s whole different story. I just feel you got to do your part of being safe and try to control as much as you can. One can not live in fear and just trust that God is taking care of you. And unfortunately we have to accept the kind of world we live in. A crazy one! And just like misszippy1, I don’t do trails or run in the dark by myself.

5. Mary says:

My husband and I walked by an elementary school in our neighborhood after a run and I actually got cat called by a student. (I was in a pair of tight running capris to prevent chaffing!) I chose to ignore it…but looking back now I am saddened at how young it can start :( Guess he has someone or the TV teaching him! Double :(

6. Amy Brueckl says:

Because when I see a man walking or running at the same time as me, I make sure to place extra distance between us when passing so that I’m further than an arm’s length away. #yesallwomen

7. Catnip Catnip says:

Maybe she is worried about careless drivers?