A little less than a week ago, 22 year-old Elliot Rodger, after penning a 100+ page woman-hating manifesto fueled by his inability to get laid, went on a shooting rampage as an apparent attempt to exact revenge on womankind who have rejected him and the men who he felt didn’t deserve the sexual attention Rodger coveted. In reaction to this atrocious event, women on Twitter began penning poignant tweets documenting how misogyny affects their every day lives, tagging their posts #yesallwomen. While some just don’t get it, many men’s eyes have been opened to the effect misogyny has on women’s daily lives.
Of course, we here at Salty Running were moved by this and it got us thinking how misogyny affects our running lives. Together we came up with these 5 #yesallwomenrunners tweets. We’re sure you have more, so leave your ideas in the comments and don’t forget to throw them up on Twitter!
1. Because when I run early in the morning I look for houses with lights on “just in case.” #yesallwomenrunners
2. Because when I pass a guy in a race who clearly is offended that I’m faster than him, I wonder how else those insecurities manifest themselves. #yesallwomenrunners
3. Because before leaving home to run workouts, I change out of my short-shorts at the last minute, even though I know I’d be more comfortable running hard in them … until the one time I didn’t and got catcalled from a truck while jogging to the track. #yesallwomenrunners
4. Because after a female runner is attacked, society expects me to react by taking self defense classes, sticking to the treadmill where it’s “safe,” wearing my hair in a bun, or even packing heat on my runs. #yesallwomenrunners
5. Because every time I run outside I risk some dude taking my photo, posting it online and a bunch of pervs lusting over it. #yesallwomenrunners
Latest posts by Salty (see all)
- 🏁The Amazing Salty Running Contributor Race!🏁 - May 23, 2016
- Readers Roundtable: Are Steph Bruce’s Abs Overshadowing Her “A” Standard? - May 23, 2016
- Salty’s Training Log – 5.22.16 - May 22, 2016