If you’re a runner and you live in the upper two-thirds of the country, you love spring. After weeks of white-knuckling it through your training runs in the most horrid weather around, the novelty of posting that icicle-covered #runnerselfie has long since worn off. On top of that you’re so sick of the treadmill, you can’t even come up with a new topic for a Salty Running Treadmill Tip of the Week post (oh wait, that’s just me). By the time spring rolls around we’re all starting to feel a little Jack Torrance-ish, if you know what I mean – CRAZY!
But never fear! Here at Salty Running, we’ve noticed some signs that spring is finally here to save us from the Polar Vortex circle of heck that was this winter. Sure, some people (all my friends on Facebook) will complain that this winter is never going to end, but really there are 5 distinct signs that spring is here. And here they are!
1. The calendar says it’s spring. If the calendar says it’s spring, it must be true no matter what the strangely dressed meteorologist on my local news says, right?
2. When the forecast calls for an “arctic blast” that only means the high will be 20 above rather than 20 below.
Relative Heat wave!
3. There are now two days a week when it’s not horribly unpleasant to run outside. Unless, that is, you hate running in strong winds – then it’ll be unpleasant until June.
4. There are only 3-12 snow storms left before summer.
5. You can now fit two outside running outfits in the washing machine instead of just one. Hurray for energy efficiency!
How are you faring with this seemingly never-ending winter? Can you stomach another freezing cold long run? Another treadmill tempo? Another snow day with your kids all cooped up and breathing their germs all over you? Vent with us in the comments!
Latest posts by Salty (see all)
- Running and Mono: My Story - August 22, 2016
- Readers Roundtable: 10 Questions About the Rio Olympics - August 22, 2016
- North: An In-depth Look at a High School Cross Country Team - August 18, 2016