5 Signs of Spring in 2014

Salty

Salty

Salty has written 333 posts on Salty Running.

Mommy, lawyer, runner, writer. Competitive runner working on coming back after baby #3. Legal career on hiatus while staying home with the kids (ages 5, 4 and 1.5). Salty Running boss.

Friday 5If you’re a runner and you live in the upper two-thirds of the country, you love spring. After weeks of white-knuckling it through your training runs in the most horrid weather around, the novelty of posting that icicle-covered #runnerselfie has long since worn off.  On top of that you’re so sick of the treadmill, you can’t even come up with a new topic for a Salty Running Treadmill Tip of the Week post (oh wait, that’s just me). By the time spring rolls around we’re all starting to feel a little Jack Torrance-ish, if you know what I mean – CRAZY!

But never fear! Here at Salty Running, we’ve noticed some signs that spring is finally here to save us from the Polar Vortex circle of heck that was this winter. Sure, some people (all my friends on Facebook) will complain that this winter is never going to end, but really there are 5 distinct signs that spring is here. And here they are!

Jack Nicholson in the famous “Here’s Johnny” scene

You say it’s 15 degrees and the roads are icy again? I’ll be right out for that 20 miler. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

1. The calendar says it’s spring. If the calendar says it’s spring, it must be true no matter what the strangely dressed meteorologist on my local news says, right?

2. When the forecast calls for an “arctic blast” that only means the high will be 20 above rather than 20 below.  Relative Heat wave!

3. There are now two days a week when it’s not horribly unpleasant to run outside. Unless, that is,  you hate running in strong winds – then it’ll be unpleasant until June.

4. There are only 3-12 snow storms left before summer.

5. You can now fit two outside running outfits in the washing machine instead of just one. Hurray for energy efficiency!

How are you faring with this seemingly never-ending winter? Can you stomach another freezing cold long run? Another treadmill tempo? Another snow day with your kids all cooped up and breathing their germs all over you? Vent with us in the comments!

9 Responses to “5 Signs of Spring in 2014”

1. We seem to be having a pattern of warm, teaser weekends, and then a blast of cold during the week. This weekend is going to be nice, but I see snow in the forecast again! What!

2. Allspice Allspice says:

I’m thankful for having a treadmill, but I’m really, really tired of it right about now. And snow?!? I’ve always hated it, but now my hate has gone to a new level.

I looked at the forecast for this weekend and Sunday morning is going to be < 20, gray and gross for the millionth long run in a row. STOP THE INSANITY! I just some sun after so many treadmill or freezing gray runs this winter. Oh, and those roads better not be icy or *gasp* snow covered – I might have to commit myself if I have to do another long run on blizzard covered roads! All right y’all, thanks for letting me vent. I am now off to pretend I’m looking on the bright side and focusing on what I’m grateful for rather than complaining about this heinous endless winter :)

4. razkristi says:

It is 6:30 am here in Ottawa, Canada and I am heading out for a long run as soon as there is daylight (or should I say as soon as there is something resembling light from behind a solid grey sky). The reason I have to run so early this morning? (Unlike many, I am not an early morning runner). I am attempting to get the run done before the 15 cm (6 inches) snow falls in the next 6 hours. Nuf’ said :(

• razkristi says:

Update – didn’t beat the storm but managed 15.5 very slow km’s anyway,
      Here are 4 ways to know you are running in a spring snowstorm:
      1. You get the centre of the road all to yourself for 15.5km
      2. When you turn around to head home your tracks on the unplowed roads have completely disappeared
      3. You realize that every time you lift your foot it no longer can find clearance above the snow and just has to push through it
      4. The wild turkeys that are on the road with you look even more pissed off than normal (they look pissed off even on good days)
      Happy “spring” running everyone!

5. Joyce L. Young says:

I live in Kitchener, Ontario Canada. After a lovely few days of 0 celcius weather what’s that I see….NO! More snow. I love winter and am proud that I still did my runs on the some of the coldest days of my life but I am so done with this. After this winter I will NEVER take bare sidewalks for granted ever again!

• razkristi says:

Hey Joyce, being from Kitchener, are you by any chance heading to Hamilton next weekend for Around the Bay? I’ll be there, my first time doing a 30k race.

• Joyce L. Young says:

Hi razkrist,
        Unfortunately right now my ambitions are exceeding what my left hip-the new boss-wants. I am still working on it from an injury last year so my runs have been significantly shortened. I will shoot for the Bay next year when my hip is more on speaking terms with me!
        Blessings on your first Bay race. Lots of runners around here participate in it.

6. Eucalyptus Eucalyptus says:

I’m running a 5K in 70 degree weather today. But then again it’s supposed to snow Tuesday…