This week much of the U.S. was busy getting their panties in a bunch over a little thing called the Polar Vortex. As far south as Atlanta, runners arose to below-zero air temperatures. While people sitting on the couch would think all runners flee for the treadmill in the face of such natural disasters, many of us just shrug on an extra layer. Real runners run outside no matter what (because, haven’t you heard? “Miles run on the treadmill don’t count.”)
Indeed, here are the 5 reasons real runners love a good polar vortex.
1. It’s the opportunity they have waited for all year to post icicle-covered selfies to prove how badass they really are.
2. And if they did stoop to the treadmill it was only because they had some crazy fast workout on tap and the polar vortex gave them the opportunity to brag about it when they were explaining why they don’t have an icicle covered selfie to share on social media.
3. They finally have a reason to wear all their winter running gear. And when I say all their winter running gear, I mean all of it. At once.
4. They can regale their grandchildren with tales of their run that over the years will grow from 6 miles to 26 miles all up hill into the wind (back when windchill was still a thing) on solid ice.
5. Running when the air temperature is -13 makes the 20’s feel like Cabo!
Did you run outside in below-zero temperatures this week? Tell us all about it! Better yet, tweet a photo to us @SaltyRunning with the hashtag #RunnerSelfie!
Latest posts by Salty (see all)
- 🏁The Amazing Salty Running Contributor Race!🏁 - May 23, 2016
- Readers Roundtable: Are Steph Bruce’s Abs Overshadowing Her “A” Standard? - May 23, 2016
- Salty’s Training Log – 5.22.16 - May 22, 2016