I know. I know. it was just a few weeks ago that Eucalyptus was convincing you to hold off on busting out the tights this fall. And then just yesterday Rocket was convincing you to race in spankies. However, I’m an older wiser Pepper and I have to admit I’ve come a long ways since my fall and winter singlet and buns wearing ways.
For a long time wearing shorts long after all my running compatriots were wearing tights was like a bad ass badge of honor (hello Michigan state cross country meet my Freshman year in neon orange shorts in the snow). In fact, ask my friends, I’m known for stripping layers one mile into most fall and winter runs, so don’t take my Friday five advice lightly when I tell you, sometimes tights are all right, even when it isn’t below 32 F.
So here are 5 reasons it might be ok to wear tights before it’s freezing!
1. Black and blue doesn’t look good on you. If you’re like me and you’ve decided to try an new abusive sport this fall … ahem cyclocross … your legs may look like a rainbow of yellows, purples, blacks and blues. Capris and tights look great and cover up those results of your clumsy ways (and protect your significant other from suspicious looks!)
2. You need something to catch the ooze. Been spending too much time on the trails and ran into some poison ivy? Or perhaps, like me, your husband is fond of flying his RC planes into trees covered in ivy and shaking them down? (What? You really can’t relate to that?!) A nasty case of poison ivy needs something to cover it up – a good time to opt for the tights!
3. You’re a lower body freeze-baby. Sure the extra material may steal a bit of speed through friction, but have you noticed that body heat seems to stem mostly from the top half during runs? The first places you get warm on a run? Head and torso for sure. I’ve stripped enough long sleeves and jackets to know. It took some time, but I’ve come around to the fact that warm legs doesn’t make you a pansy! So don those 3/4 tights and instead of a jacket wear a short sleeve with arm warmers until you inevitably warm up after the first mile of your run. Your legs will remain toasty and wind burn free, but you wont have to wrap that jacket around your waist!
4. That damn shorts liner keeps chafing you. Tights = less chafing, less windburn, and all around happier skin when temps are borderline. I cannot tell you how many cold yet comfortable runs in shorts I have come home from only to suffer from rosy red and swollen wind burn legs in the post run shower.
5. You want to accentuate your best ass-ett. Best reason to don capris or tights before it’s below 40 degrees? Girl, you look great in them! Nothing flatters a fit behind like spandex! Added bonus they also look great when you’re galavanting around town doing your post-run errands.
How about you? When do you bust out the tights?