Say No to the Race Bib Black Market

Sassafras

Sassafras has written 99 posts on Salty Running.

Southern-transplant lass who loves 90s boy bands, outdoor adventures and college basketball, although not necessarily in that order. After cracking the 4 hour marathon mark, I'm hoping to run a Boston Qualifying time!

Race Bib

Don’t become a dealer.  (Photo credit: slgckgc)

So you put off registering for a race because you were waiting to get paid, your original race plan fell through or you just plum forgot. In the meantime, the race sold out. No biggie, you can just buy a bib  off Craigslist, right?

You registered for a race and you trained, only to get injured, find out your cousin’s wedding falls on race day or your child has the flu. You’d really like to make at least some of your money back, so why not just sell your bib?

Has something like this ever crossed your mind? Or have you ever bought or sold a race bib through channels besides race-approved bib transfers?

If you’re thinking about buying or selling a bib for an upcoming race, you should give that another think or two.

Bibs are how medical first responders identify runners who go down. Only you’re not a 55-year-old woman with a heart condition, you’re a 29-year-old woman who’s in her first trimester. Or on the flip side, imagine that your significant other gets a phone call from race officials, because that’s the emergency contact number you gave them – but you’re not the one running.

You’re throwing a wrench into the results and maybe even cheating people out of awards. Just in the past few years, two races have made headlines for disqualifying the person to break the tape after discovering that the winner was running under an illegally transferred bib. You may think, yeah, well, I won’t be anywhere near the front of the pack, but it doesn’t have to be that extreme. The fact of the matter is, you are running with someone else’s bib – someone who may not be in the same age group or even be the same gender as you. That will impact both overall results and age group awards.

Papa Smurf runs the London Marathon

If you buy Papa Smurf’s bib, painting yourself blue will not make it better and also comes off with sweat and looks gross by mile 8, FYI. (Photo credit: mrtopp)

Running a particular race or recouping your money is not a right. I get it, I get it… you have a perfectly valid reason for not registering sooner or for wanting to sell your bib. Everyone thinks their reason is valid. Chances are if you registered for a race, you checked a box stating that you understood that the race registration was non-transferable and when you pick up your packet, you’ll sign an insurance waiver. (Sidenote: if you’re injured, see if they have a deferment policy.) And I know it stinks if the race you’ve been pondering sells out. But adopting an attitude of “I’ll run it anyways, rules be damned!” isn’t the way to handle things. Races sell out, just like concerts; running with an illegal bib causes problems for the race organizers and for actual registered runners. Find another race, or if you’re treating the race like a training run, just go run for free!

I didn’t realize how strongly I felt about this issue until I started seeing people posting on my running group’s Facebook page about buying and selling bibs for a popular local race that is sold out. Life happens, which means that you can’t always meet race registration or transfer deadlines. I get it. But life happens in all kinds of ways that cost us non-refundable deposits. You don’t try to argue with RDs that because you were sick on the last day of early bird registration that you deserve that lower price, do you?

The way I see it, selling your race bib or buying one illegally isn’t an ethical gray area; it’s just wrong.

How do you feel about buying and selling race bibs?

Enhanced by Zemanta

20 Responses to “Say No to the Race Bib Black Market”

1. Shannon Slutman says:

I totally agree…sometime you just have to suck it up! I wouldn’t want to run under someone else’s bib…what if you ran your best race ever and couldn’t claim the results. It’s like that joke about the priest who gets a hole in one when skips church to golf on a Sunday!

• MG says:

Agreed. I thought about asking a friend if I could use her bib to run Twin Cities but decided against it. If I’m going to run a race, I want the glory! It was really only a fleeting thought though because I stand on the side of not breaking the rules.

A few years ago, a friend of mine got injured right before an 8k race. He contacted them the week of the race to see if they would let him change his registration over to me. They agreed, even though it meant changing a 30-something male bib to a 20-something female runner. There was a little confusion on race day since they don’t normally do transfers, but it was straightened out fairly quickly.

I wish that more races would authorize bib transfers. I can understand not allowing it on race day, but in this day of electronic records/registration, how much work can it be to change a name? This feels like a holdover of manual records to me. Having to register for the big races so many months out puts me off of them. If I knew I could sell back my bib to the race if I were injured, even at a reduced rate, I’d be much more likely to consider registering.

• Sassafras says:

MG, I think bib transfers are becoming more of a trend. My goal marathon (Columbus) has them and the half marathon mentioned above, which is a relatively small local race, had them as well. I truly hope that it’s the new normal!

That said, transfer programs have deadlines, and with both of these, I have seen people scrambling after the deadline trying to buy/sell bibs. So I am not sure that alone will help!

• MG says:

Oh sure, you’ll always have people doing a last minute scramble. But I think as long as the transfer deadline is reasonable (1-2 weeks out), it should greatly cut down on people trying to buy/sell.

2. Cathryn says:

I’m torn on this one. I am strongly anti-banditing but this is less reprehensible to me. What do you think about giving bibs away to friends if you can’t run?

• Sassafras says:

Unless it’s through official race bib transfer processes, I’m against it.

To me, what causes the issue isn’t so much whether money changes hands but whether people who are running with bibs that are in names other than their own. Even if you give it away for free, this still has the same possible consequences as far as medical emergencies and results.

3. Jackie K says:

I don’t like the idea of selling a bib or buying one off of a secondary market. This year I did strongly consider joining a charity team with the lowest fundraising minimum to get into a sold out race, but ended up deciding against it. Getting into larger, long distance races isn’t cheap and people are reticent to let their registration fees go to complete waste. I understand the motivation. For the money spent on half and full marathons, I’d like to see the bib get used instead of making a donation to for profit race organizers. That being said, I wouldn’t worry about it for 5Ks. It would be a shame to let my $30 go to waste, but I wouldn’t be too upset.

My main inhibition behind not using someone else’s bib is simple and shallow. I want my race results on the internet to be exclusively mine. It’s a strong enough motivator to me. That being said, I would love to see more race directors allowing deferral or bib transfer. I’d even pay a nominal fee to accomodate it. I understand that this can be a hassle, and may inadvertantly create a market for scalpers, but it would more accurately reflect the needs of runners.

I think the medical emergencies risk is overblown. I’m a rebel and never write contact info down on the back of my bib, mostly because I don’t want ink to rub off on my shirt. Again with the shallow… (NB, I do provide it online)

• Sassafras says:

Jackie, thanks for commenting! I don’t think you’re shallow at all. How does the sign go? “Pain is temporary, Internet race results are forever”?

Could you put tape (like packing tape) over the pen to have a protective layer between that and your shirt?

• MG says:

I’ve never filled out the contact info section, but I also don’t remember the last time that I saw a bib that had a contact info section.

4. I’ve never bought or sold a bib, but I know people who have given their bib to another runner. I’ve been offered free bibs before but never took anyone up on the offer. I would also never run as a bandit.

I think the medical emergency thing is overblown also. I usually don’t write on the back of my bib untill the night before the race anyway.

I understand why race organizers do not want to deal with transfers. They have enough chaos to deal with. But because of this they are creating this environment were people fee they should be able to give or sell their bib since they paid a small fortune for it.

5. Bobby says:

I completely disagree with the idea of recouping your entrance not being a right. The races are absolutely GREEDY, lazy, and dumb!
    Greedy b/c they won’t refund.
    Lazy and dumb for not transferring. If they were smart they would charge a small fee and handle the transfer for you. Or just stamp/flag the bib# as ineligible to place. It would solve the issues with people placing in age, or gender groups they shouldn’t.

• Sassafras says:

Bobby, I agree it’s frustrating if you can’t recoup your costs, but the policies are all spelled out on registration forms, so it’s not like runners don’t know this going in. It’s the chance you take. Here’s an example from a race I am registering for this weekend: “I further understand that there are no entry refunds, exchanges, transfers or rollovers.”

Many races these days do offer the option to transfer within a certain time window, but even with that, people will always have last minute things pop up and want special treatment.

I don’t think it’s fair at all to call races or race directors lazy, greedy and dumb. A race, even a smaller one, has all kinds of logistics and the transfer process adds more complexity. I do think there is the start of a cultural shift towards more leniency in these matters, but even with those cases, runners – in my observation – tend to push for more, up until the very last minute, which is just not feasible. Part of this is due to social media and the way that runners interact with RDs now. It will be interesting to see if more races go this direction in the future!

6. MP says:

@Sassafras – I totally understand the transfer reasons. I get it and recently even considered it; HOWEVER and this is a BIG HOWEVER, not only is it about the medical reasons; it’s about someone running a better time to qualify someone for Boston (example). Also, the liability if you got injured on their course and NEVER signed the waiver (the person you bought the bib from signed this). I’ve overheard some ladies talking in a top corral that they had their daughter(son) run a race for them months before so they could ‘move’ up in the corrals; thus stopping to take pictures with the characters. Well I run a 1:49 half and believe me; I about ran over several “larger” individuals that started the race by walking.

• Sassafras says:

MP, I think what you describe is horrible – people essentially having a ringer run for them. However, I’m not sure why it’s necessary to point out that people who were “larger” were walking. Yes, maybe they should not have been in your corral (and who knows how they accomplished that), but making a comment on about their size seems unnecessary and not really relevant.

7. FA says:

I’ve done both. I ran once with a friend’s bib in a very large race. I removed the tag so I wouldn’t show up in the results. I had planned on pacing someone, but couldn’t find them and end up with a PR. Banditing has always been for the purpose of pacing a friend. I don’t take anything from aid stations and pull off the course before the finish line.

8. Sassafras says:

FA, why not register through normal processes if you want to pace someone? Is it a cost issue? I’m sure your friend(s) appreciate the help, but even if you don’t physically take anything, you are still impacting race operations by banditing.

• FA says:

These are small races that don’t discourage it. The race director from one of them is a teammate. If I’m going to pay, I going to want the medal, but I don’t really care to run the full marathon.

9. Howard says:

I agree with sentiments from FA’s comment. Furthermore, a lot of the concerns mentioned in this article are just not relevant at a high enough frequency to serve as strong points.

Note: I understand that the below may be deemed over generalized statements as they are not cited with any supporting evidence. These statements are the opinion of a humble, armature runner who has been training/racing for about 3+ years.

Bibs are how medical first responders identify runners who go down.

Let’s be real. If your friend is buying a bib from you, he/she is not running their first time/race at that distance (who would want to run their first half under another’s name/bib?). This means most likely they have run the distance before and are conditioned to do it again relatively easily. I understand things happened but running under another’s bib is not something new runners do. If they bought a bib, they are probably running that race as training for a longer race (e.g. your friend runs a half marathon under another bib in training for a full). Or they are pacing someone else as FA mentioned, which means he/she is an experienced enough runner to actually pace someone else!

Unless your friend is fast enough to finish top 20% (where their placing would actually be noticeable), just tear the sensor from the back of your bib. Issue solved as FA mentioned.

Running a particular race or recouping your money is not a right.

Given the domain of runners which would usually be doing this (running under another’s bib), there are not many inconveniences one can cause to runners who officially registered (a human body is a human body on the race route). Sure, you checked a box during registration. Let me ask you something. Do you jaywalking ? Do you lie? Do you always brush your teeth before you go to sleep? How about speeding? Driving faster than the speed limit is dangerous as well. As long as the runner is courteous (don’t block runners, pass them too close, etc.) and runs knowing he/she is simply there for the ride and not a belonging presence, the world should be able to continue turning.

Note (this is me being a jerk): I have noticed that the only people who seem to complain about such things are runners on the slower end (of all ages, genders, ethnicities, disabilities, experiences). If I was passed by/beat/ran with a runner who bought his or her bib; who cares. If he/she beat me, guess what, they were faster than me. The fact that I could have beat them if they were not in the race does not make me feel any better or worst. I just need to get faster. Kudos to them and I am glad to have being running against/with someone that inspires me to be stronger and faster. Only slow runners or people running for shallow reason complain about this? The truth is most likely, that runner is miles ahead of you. So their negative impact on your run should be minimal.

Thanks,