Have you heard the news? Our favorite running guru LiLo just announced some big news. Instead of running in and out of rehab, she is training for the L.A. Marathon with the help of running pro Shannon Rowbury! Lindsay Lohan reportedly met Shannon at a Nike store and they became BFFs. Next stop on that friendship train?
A marathon. Obviously.
Shannon’s a pro, and we trust her to give LiLo some good training advice, other than what was reported on Naughty but Nice: “Shannon advised Lilo to do one long run each week for marathon prep and then to treat herself to some kind of carb-fest, like Shannon’s fave: Chocolate Chip Pancakes at IHOP!”
Other than staying away from IHOP, we have a few (five, actually) tips for LiLo as she begins her marathon training.
1. Lay off the hootch. We know there are pub crawls that masquerade as 5ks, but they are slightly over 3 miles long. A marathon is slightly over 26 miles. You’ll want complete mental focus on the end goal, and you won’t have that if you are under the influence. Plus, I think there is a much increased risk of self-induced injury if your coordination is… off. And it’s LA, so you’ll probably have to drive to the start and we all know how that turns out for you.
2. Dress for success. We know you like to look good and we support looking good while running. But don’t choose style over function just so you can run in a bedazzled skirt and sweet-looking kicks. Trust us: you’ll look much better at the end of the marathon if you’ve run in (relative) comfort. And for the love of god, do not steal from your LRS!
3. Don’t diet. Hopefully, you don’t still think you need to lose weight, but if you do – a marathon is the wrong way to go about it. Take it from us here at Salty Running who have tried to lose weight and train for a marathon – it doesn’t work so well. You need the right fuel and enough of it to put in quality training.
4. Surround yourself with supporters. Shannon Rowbury is a good start. Next, get rid of people who are not supportive, like, dare we say, your parents? Bring them to the race and they’re likely to at best hog the spotlight for themselves and take credit for your achievement or at worst get into a brawl and shut down the whole event, ruining it not just for you, but all the participants.
5. Show up. Considering traveling to the French Rivera the night before the race? Bad idea (just as it was before that court date way back when). There is no race director on earth who will postpone a race for you. You can’t pay a lawyer to run the race for you either. And, of course, you can’t run the race if you’re wearing an orange jumpsuit. So behave yourself! And keep your hair red, for heaven’s sake!
All joking and sarcasm aside, we think LiLo should go for it. If she is replacing one addictive substance with another, I think running is the way to go!
What marathon training tips do you have for LiLo?