Even with extreme heat and mugginess, or “the soup” as I like to call it, our training plans don’t care. We have workouts to get in and mileage goals to meet! Armed with Mint’s tips for safely getting in the training during heat waves, many of us sucked it up and got it done this week despite the weather from heck. And for that, we deserve a badass badge.
1. We discovered we could sweat more during one run than we ever thought one woman could. Seriously. After my track workout this week, my shorts were more soaked from sweat than they would have been if I dove into a pool in them. I left a trail of sweat droplets everywhere I went. It was nasty. But pretty badass.
2. When we walk out into 90 degrees and high humidity and we’re not running, it doesn’t feel that bad. Maybe it’s mental or maybe it’s physical, I have no idea, but once I do a couple of runs in “the soup” it doesn’t feel so bad any more, especially when not running in it. While everyone around us complains about the heat, us runners are efficiently sweating and wondering what the fuss is all about.
3. When this shitastic weather finally leaves, we will feel amazing! Right? I mean really, is there’s any where to go but up from running in “the soup.”
4. When your next summer race rolls around and the weather is shitastic, you will survive and run a solid time. Please! (Not that I want to race in this gross any time soon.)
5. You got it done. Hell yeah!
High-five to everyone who made it through the week close to on track with their training! Were you one of them? How’d you manage that? If not, how did the heat mess you up?
Latest posts by Salty (see all)
- Smile Training to Run Happier - July 28, 2016
- Make Running Great Again™! - July 22, 2016
- Readers Roundtable: What’s the Weirdest Sh*t You’ve Stumbled Upon? - July 18, 2016