You might have expected some nod to Father’s Day in this Friday 5, but instead, inspired by Ms. Fleshman’s little bundle, I decided to make this one a nod to mother runners. (I swear it has nothing to do with the fact that 99.9% of our readers are female.) While we’ve discussed big things to help new moms keep the running going after baby comes – things like running strollers and treadmills and babysitters – I thought I might share the 5 lesser appreciated little things all new running moms should have on hand after the stork arrives.
1. Big-ass baggy running clothes. Thought once you were no longer pregnant you’d slip right back into your old shorts? Think again. And the shirts. I still have shirts I wore before having kids that I have never again fit into even when I weighed less than I weighed back then. Get yourself some granny looking shorts a size or two up from your regular shorts and a few large singlets or t-shirts. Trust me, you won’t want a fitted look for a while!
2. Black shorts. While we’re on the topic, make those granny shorts black. In fact, you might want to make them spandex granny shorts because you will likely tinkle in them for a few weeks if not months or maybe forever. And always put a spare in the gym bag.
3. Anti-chafing stuff and lots of it. Your body is different. It’s all puffy and lumpy and floppy in places it never used to be and you will chafe in the strangest places. Add in a little pee in the shorts and your anti-chafing stick will be your new best friend.
4. An extra bra. Boobs full of milk hurt when they bounce. Even boobs that used to be AAAs pre-pregnancy. Double-bag ’em. Wear two sports bras at one time until those jugs settle down.
5. Dry shampoo. I don’t know about you, but I’d much rather run an extra mile when my kids are occupied than take a shower. Call me gross, but I ran an extra mile and I’m happy and don’t care. I spray on a little dry shampoo and pretend I showered and nobody knows. Well, unless I forgot a spare pair of shorts in my gym bag!
Any running moms out there have any other tips for new running moms like Lauren?
You Might Also Like:
Latest posts by Salty (see all)
- Elites Descend on Columbus for 2016 USATF Half Marathon Championship - April 26, 2016
- What Overtraining Taught Me About Running - April 26, 2016
- Salty’s Training Log – 4.24.16 - April 24, 2016