It’s Time for the Boston Marathon, Baby!! Who’s In?

Mint

Mindi has written 155 posts on Salty Running.

The famous starting area of the Boston Marathon

Almost go time for the Boston Marathon!

Marathon Monday is just a week away!!

The Boston Marathon is the most famous marathon in the world and is one of the 5 World Marathon Majors.  You must qualify to earn your golden ticket for this race (or raise substantial funding for a charity).  When  you earn your entry to Boston, you also earn the opportunity to run with some of the most elite runners in the world.

We’ve tried to help you get ready by providing some tips on how to train for Boston.

Pepper was there last year. Espresso is toeing the line this year.

Now it is time to hear from you!

We know you’ve put in the hard work required to qualify.

We know you’ve trained super hard this season.

… Or maybe you’ve only *mostly* trained super hard (yeah, we know you and your light training is still pretty awesome) but you’ve decided to treat this race as your victory lap.

We get it.  We love it.  And we think you are a total bad ass!*

We want to hear how it goes for you during this year’s Patriot’s Day race and celebrate your big day.

So share your stories with us.

If you are running the Boston Marathon 2013, let us know!  Give us your back story, your bib #, your goal, or whatever you want.  We are excited for you and want to hear all about it!

Are you running Boston 2013?

* Hey, sorry for the language, but we can’t help but call it as we see it around here. . .

8 Responses to “It’s Time for the Boston Marathon, Baby!! Who’s In?”

1. Michelle says:

I will be there!!!!! Bib number 16011!! I am having a hard time containing my excitement!! This will be my first Boston and my 4th marathon. I qualified last year at the Cleveland Marathon on a very hot day with the time of 3:36:06. I have trained hard this time and I had some great track sessions and tempo runs. Other than the threat of a lingering cold (which I can’t decide if it is a cold or allergies), I feel pretty strong and ready. My overall goal is to just take in every minute and enjoy the experience. I have actually never even been to the city of Boston, haven’t flown since my honeymoon eight years ago, and haven’t been on a girls trip since college. So, I have a lot to be excited about! I would love to pound out a 3:30, which is my A goal. My B goal is a 3:35, which I think is very realistic on this challenging course. I am going with two close girlfriends, one of which has run the Boston Marathon twice before (and PR’d). We are flying in on this Saturday and staying until Tuesday. I never thought I could qualify for Boston. The goal wasn’t even on my radar. I started training with two woman who have become my sole sisters and dear friends. Training with them gave me the desire, determination, and confidence to reach that goal. I am beaming with pride. Training, while working full time and being the mother to four children (under the age of 7, with a set of twins in there), is not an easy task. It has been hard on my husband and challenging to juggle it all. I am living proof that if you have the courage and burning desire to reach your goals, anything is possible:)!!

2. Amanda says:

I’ll be following online via twitter…hopefully one day I’ll be there

• Mint says:

Thank goodness for Twitter and of course the live runner tracking. I love to watch the elite races on my computer too. Yes, I admit I am already planning to be relatively unproductive on Marathon Monday morning. It is hard to get a lot of work done when the marathon is going on! I think we should all get to take Patriot’s Day off. :)

Keep working at it – you’ll get there Amanda!

3. Mary says:

I’ll be there! Running for a charity group. Already emailed all you guys about it heheh but i am really excited! Panicking and freaking out about the money I need to raise for charity (hey feel free to donate! haha http://www.crowdrise.com/TeamWomensLunchPlace/fundraiser/marydooley) bc if i dont raise it i have to pay it myself… but i am SO excited to go home!!

I’m from Boston, and have been apart of the marathon in every way except for running it. I broke my back 8 years ago and never ever would have imagined I could run a marathon! I’ve been training a lot, gave up a social life (HAH like i had one to give up heheh) would wake up early to run, followed by an 8 hour day shift, followed by a 12 hour overnight shift…. but it’s here! it’s finally here. I cant wait to fly in!

I’m also running the 5k the day before. Mostly because I figure hey, two medals in one weekend! But i’m looking forward to a slow, stretchy 5k to get kinks out before the marathon. AH so excited!!

4. Kathy says:

I’m going to be there as #15090! I’m excited and nervous for the whole thing. I tend to like smaller marathons in the range of 1000-3000 marathoners. 25k seems impossibly large to deal with, but who doesn’t want to try?

I’m aiming for a 3:20-3:25. It’s crazy to think that normally I’m in the top 10% with that sort of time and at this race, I probably won’t be in the top half! It’s humbling and inspiring.

• Mint says:

Good luck! I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how well run the race is. Even though there are so many runners, the wave start and seeding helps tremendously. So while you’ll always have runners around you, you won’t be dodging and weaving the whole time. We’ll track you (and everyone else who gave bib #s) and be virtually cheering you on Monday!